The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Dennis C. Brown (Los Angeles Conservatory of Music 72)

Dennis C. Brown says, “I finally feel that I am fully retired, which frees me up for all sorts of musical adventures. The last TV show I composed for was the first season of B Positive in 2020, and then I decided I’d had enough. As that door closed, a glorious picture window appeared, and through it I saw new opportunities. I began receiving fan letters regarding the music I created for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, including one from an attorney in Brooklyn and another from a man in Germany whose grandfather was a popular cabaret composer. It was quite inspirational to read about the impact my music had on these fans. Then a company specializing in cult and campy vinyl soundtracks called me, wanting to release my music from the animated series Toxic Crusaders. The soundtrack is now in the works, and the music is chock full of slide guitar. Upon review of the Toxic Crusaders music, I realized the reckless abandon that made that music so fun and catchy. I decided to use that spirit of adventure to create new music. I started refining my flamenco chops and soon had the structure upon which I could layer whatever the heck I felt like, and indeed I did. Strings, choir, timpani, some screaming electric guitar leads, and soon my masterpiece was done. I now have five pieces finished, all radically different, off the cuff, off the wall, and offbeat. As I had ideas, I recorded them and never gave myself any deadlines. I’d just start adding lap steel, slide guitar, harmonica, and various orchestral sounds until the pieces felt complete. My artist name will be ‘NF Tee and His Mighty Millennial Metachorus.’ What shall become of all this? Who knows? Who cares? No plans. Just having fun.”