The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Trowzer Akimbo (Bill Davis) (Art 71)

30” x 40’ oil on canvas painting of Yosemite National Park’s Stoneman Bridge by artist, Trowzers Akimbo.

Trowzer Akimbo (Bill Davis) (Art 71) reports, “Started the year off in January with a one-man show at the Kings Art Center in Hanford, Calif. I’m also part of the Yosemite Renaissance exhibit this year, with my painting, Conference Call. Luckily, the opening occurred ahead of the coronavirus in February at the Yosemite Museum Gallery in Yosemite Valley. The show travels to different locations around California until November. 

The three-artist exhibit, Good Neighbors, which I’m a part of at the Mariposa County Art Council’s Treetop Gallery in Mariposa, Calif., had to close the day after it was hung due to COVID-19. It’s still hanging, and current plans are to hold the opening as soon as it is safe to do so. My one-man show, which was scheduled for July and August at Vernissage Art Gallery in Fresno, Calif., had to be cancelled due to the pandemic since it was unsafe and irresponsible to continue staging public gatherings. We were under evacuation warning for three weeks due to California’s Creek fire (only 8 or 9 miles away), which required me to strip my large paintings from their stretcher bars, roll them up, and pack them for evacuation, along with the others. We’re still choking on smoke, with the AQI hovering above 200, so we’re staying inside and I’m plowing ahead on my Yosemite painting series. Quite a year so far. Stay safe!”

Photograph of Betty Tikker Davis and Trowzers Akimbo in front of his painting, “Yosemite Falls from Sentinel Swinging Bridge,” at a Yosemite Western Artist show opening at Vernissage Gallery.