The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Jim Santi Owen (Music BFA 92, MFA 05)

Jim Santi Owen (Music BFA 92, MFA 05) reports, “After graduating in 2005, I returned to the San Francisco Bay Area where I continue my study of North Indian tabla with CalArts faculty member, Maestro Swapan Chaudhuri. I currently serve on the faculty of the California Jazz Conservatory, Dominican University, and the Ali Akbar College of Music while also maintaining a thriving private music student practice and a busy schedule of artist residencies in Bay Area schools. From 2009–14, I served as the music director for the San Francisco World Music Festival. Since 2017, my work as a composer/producer/recording artist has been featured on Facebook’s Sound Collection, which houses nearly 150 of my original and traditional tracks. This work has taken me to India, Ghana, Sardinia, and Israel to record world-class artists and create original audio content available for streaming and download. From 2011–14, I sat on the Community Arts Panel for the Zellerbach Family Foundation and am currently six months into my second three-year term as chair of the Funding Advisory Committee for the city of Oakland’s Cultural Funding Program. In 2018, I founded Jim Santi Owen Music, Inc., a music production and educational company focused on producing music from around the world.”