The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Davy Sumner (Music MFA 16)

Davy Sumner (Music MFA 16) writes, “In December 2019, I ‘punched it’ around the galaxy as a sound editor and mixer on an update of Disney Imagineering’s Star Tours attraction at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, coinciding with the release of the film Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. On a more earthly note, I have collaborated with alumni Trey Gilmore (Theater MFA 17), Sal Mannino (Theater MFA 17), Jesse Garrison (Theater MFA 17), and Keith Skretch (Theater MFA 12) to score, sound design, and mix (in Dolby Atmos) two projection mapped installations for the Museum of Ice Cream’s first permanent NYC space. Yvette Holzwarth (Music MFA 16), Ben Finley (Music MFA 16), and Chris Williams (Music MFA 17) sprinkled in extra sweetness by adding a triple scoop of violin, trumpet, and bass to my synth-churned soundtrack. After my ice cream brain freeze wore off, I composed and performed original music for Jonghee Woo’s (Theater MFA 16) The Burning Field, an immersive theater performance on wildfires, firefighters, and PTSD in Seoul, South Korea. Most recently, I have recorded and mixed Ben Richter’s (Music DMA 21) premiere realization of Phill Niblock’s Exploratory, a behemoth of a work for microtonal accordion. Be warned of the release of this juggernaut as part of a Niblock box set in summer 2020.”