The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Theresa Chavez (Art BFA 85, MFA 87)

Theresa Chavez (Art BFA 85, MFA 87) says, “I’m currently collaborating with two other CalArtians on Adobe Punk, an original theaterwork (www.aboutpd.org/adobe-punk). I am co-writing/co-directing with Gabriel Garza, my son, whose idea the project is based on. Joining us are Sage Lewis (Music MFA 07) and Dorothy Hoover (Theater MFA 12) as music director and set designer, respectively. Set to premiere in 2021, Adobe Punk is a work of historical fiction set in the early ‘80s in working-class Bell Gardens, Calif. It tells the story of three young punk music fans who find refuge in what turns out to be one of the oldest adobe homes in LA County. It will take cues from a set of LA-based punk songs that will be reimagined by Sage Lewis, with set designer Dorothy Hoover envisioning the house at the center of the story. Production is being developed by About…Productions, an award-winning not-for-profit theater company now in its 31st year. The company was formed by four CalArtians in 1988—Mark Laska (Theater BFA 86), AlanPulner (Art MFA 87), Michel Schatkleff, and myself—and continues to produce original theaterworks and provide transformative arts education programs for highest-risk and educationally disadvantaged youth.”