The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Suzan Shutan ’77

Suzan Shutan ’77 reports, “I have been a working exhibiting artist. I received my MFA from Rutgers Mason Gross in 1988, after an eight-year hiatus living and working in Berlin and NYC. I’ve worked as Museum Education Curator at the Des Moines Art Center, Director of Education at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum, Director of the Public Art Program in New Haven, CT, Sculpture Professor at Quinnipiac University, primary Sculpture Teacher at Housatonic Community College, and as a mentor to MFA students in low residency programs in the Northeast. My work has been published in Paper Art Installations II, in multiple exhibition catalogues, and has been favorably reviewed by Smithsonian magazine, Sculpture magazine, the New York Times, Art New England magazine, and High Performance magazine. I’m a recipient of multiple grants and residencies, including those from Yaddo and Bemis Foundation, and recent commissions for Log Me In headquarters in Boston and Sloan Kettering Hospital, NYC. Additionally, I curate and write on art. Materialized, which includes former CalArts professor Judy Pfaff and 18 other artists, was at UMass Amherst Hampden Gallery through October 2019, simultaneously with my solo exhibit Slicey Dicey. Upcoming exhibits are at Claudia Weil Gallery in Germany, and West AAP Projects, Biennale of International Reductive and Non Objective Art in Sydney, Australia. I have been married to Mario Almeida for 25 years.”