The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Clay Alexander ’99

Clay Alexander ’99 writes, “I’m an inventor, serial entrepreneur, and hold more than 100 patents worldwide. I’m also the Founder and CEO of Ember, a global consumer electronics brand and manufacturer of the world’s first temperature-controlled mug. After graduating from CalArts, I started my first company, Radiance Lightworks. It has since grown to become one of the top lighting design firms in the country, boasting an extensive client list that includes Universal Studios, Mattel, and 20th Century Fox. I then launched my second company, Journée Lighting, in 2005, and invented General Electric’s LED light bulb called the GE Infusion. I launched Ember in 2012, which released its first temperature-controlled mug with Starbucks in fall of 2016, and which continues to disrupt the drink-ware industry with its award-winning product introductions. Ember is now in more than 7,600 retail locations in 27 countries around the world, including Apple Stores, Best Buy, and Starbucks, among many others.”