The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Donald Beagle ’72

Donald Beagle ’72 updates us: “Two of my poems appear in Kakalak, the annual anthology of Southern poetry (2019 ed.) to be released in December. The anthology’s Prologue comments: ‘Time and again, Donald Beagle’s “On Driving to the Solar Eclipse with My Granddaughter” and “Blue Ridge Vision” take us through landscapes of family, memory, and myth as they travel the familiar territory of the Carolinas.” Another of my poems, “Driving to the Dunes of Manteo,” was published in the Spring 2019 issue of AGORA. I’m hoping to find a CalArts composer or multimedia artist to collaborate on a musical/media ‘realization’ of my 12-poem sequence Rumi & the Year of Meteors, scheduled for publication in January 2020 in my forthcoming book, Driving Into the Dreamtime. My Rumi/Meteor poems were praised by the late, eminent poet W. S. Merwin, who said, “The poem sequence Rumi & the Year of Meteors by Donald Beagle is distinctively original, yet conveys a haunting familiarity. These poems are in continual motion, orbiting a mysterious point where intuition, emotion, and perception converge.” Any CalArts composer and/or multimedia creator interested in considering a collaboration, please contact me.”