The CalArts Pool Fisheye Snapshot

Stephanie Zaletel ’12

Stephanie Zaletel ’12 writes, “Two thousand eighteen was a beautiful, challenging, and exciting year—here are some of the highlights: I married Louis Lopez ’12! I collaborated with Lars Jan on The White Album, based on the essay by Joan Didion, and toured in creation of the work to UCross, WY, Wexner Center for the Arts, CalArts, Pittsburgh Festival of Firsts, BAM’s Next Wave Festival, and UCLA. I premiered my fifth evening-length show called moon& at the Ford Amphitheater after generous creation residencies at LA Dance Project and CalArts, and later toured moon& to Seattle, WA, for a split evening with artist Lavinia Vago. I also set new works on LA Contemporary Dance Company and Bombshell Dance Project (Dallas, TX). In 2019 I officially transitioned to a freelance career in choreography/performance while collaborating with artists such as Rosanna Gamson/World Wide, Jodie Landau (Beth Morrison Projects), clipping., and with my own company, Stephanie Zaletel | szalt, with commissions for CalArts Spring Dance and Cornish College of the Arts. I also lead an all-abilities, all-levels, free-form, dance-party class in LA called Dance Church (founded by Kate Wallich), as well as two annual workshops in movement, meditation, and choreography. I’m thankful for a life filled with movement, artists, and collaboration.”